Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dad's testimony today!

I had to share this with everyone and because I wanted to remember it myself. Dad gave his testimony in church today in his Gridley ward and shared a story about when he just turned 12 and became a deacon. Mom told us about it and Dad retold the story today when we were over at their house. Of course, I can't do the story justice because there is nothing like Dad telling a story. But I will try!

He said, "People talk about computers, e-mail, internet, well, we didn't even have T.V. until I was a teenager. We couldn't just go down to the Stake Center and watch Conference through Satelite. So,when I was just a deacon, my dad decided to take me to General Conference. We lived pretty far away in Castle Dale, which is a long way from Price. We drove really fast and it took us over 2 hours to get there. But what I remember the most was the excitement of the people there at Conference. They were so excited about the gospel and that there were now 50,000 members of the church."

I was very touched by this because I realize that the grandfather that we didn't know was such a great influence on our Dad. He remembers that so well after about 60 years! Now that I have a son who will turn 11 soon, I surely want to make sure that efforts are made to show him how important the gospel is in our lives and that the priesthood can give him strength.

1 comment: