Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vera May Behling Warren

These are pictures of my grandmother, Vera May Behling Warren. I remember her well! She was a very calm, loving woman and a wonderful grandmother.


This history is written in Vera's words:

Mother and dad met each other when he came to Castle Dale to work on the Emery Stake House. He boarded at great grandmother Rasmussen's home. One day when Mom was visiting at Grandma's she deliberately stayed until after dark so that dad could "walk her home". This was the beginning of a friendship that ended in a beautiful and long wedded life together for our father and mother. While Dad was 'courting' Mother, Grandfather Behling told Dad. "If you like that girl, marry her, don't lead her astray".
While they were courting, mama taught Grandma Behling to sew. Mama was a fine seamstress. They planned a Temple marriage in the Manti Temple. The city of Manti is located up over the mountain range from Castle Dale. And transportation being what it was in 1914, it took three days to reach Manti. They travelled in a 'white top' buggy with double seats. They were well chaperoned by Uncle Clarence. Clair and both Grandma Petersen and Grandma Rasmussen. They had to travel up straight canyon up over the mountain, down Fairview Canyon and on to Manti. After their wedding, on the way home, a storm came up and they took shelter in an old abandoned mine in the canyon. They were married 26 August 1914. My mother was eighteen years old and Dad was twenty two.
Their first home was the one room log cabin that had been my grandparent's first home in Ferron - it had also been the first meeting house in Ferron.
Papa worked for Sam Singleton and farmed some acres for himself with mama helping. He also took over the supervision of Singleton's cattle and sheep for seven years. Mama raised vegetables and sold butter and eggs for cash. Papa started out on a salary of $90 a month with a raise each year. He also became known as a 'horse breaker'. By this method he acquired a fine team of horses for himself named, Old Fox and Blue.
I was born 13 Sept. 1915. My earliest recollections are of this first home, the 'whitewashed' walls and the swing papa put up for me on the center supports. It was wonderful having my grandparents, Uncles and Aunts living just across the way, being carried on the shoulders of my big strong uncles, Fred, John, and Willie and eating meals prepared by my grandmother and the Aunts, Mary, Martha, Elsie and Anna.
I remember the two underground cellars to the east of the house, the washhouse to the north, with the smokehouse behind, and the two hole privy sitting to the right and back beyond the smokehouse and perched on the edge of the 'wash'. It was a long walk to the privy, but coming back, when one wasn't in such a hurry, there were black and yellow currants to nibble on along the path.
I remember the pig-pens and the chicken coops, the granary and the tall cement silo where they stored 'silage' for the cattle and the big barn that sheltered the cattle, horses and farming equipment. It looked like a prosperous ranch - so clean and well organized. But, believe me, they all worked very hard. Grandpa Behling was a small man in stature, but he ruled his family with an iron hand. He may not have been able to work very hard, himself, because of his encounter with the bull, but he surely knew how to get work out of his sons and daughters. And Grandma Behling (Augusta) was a very good manager and provider. It was jokingly said of her, when they slaughtered a pig that she used everything but the squeal! Waste was never practiced in this household. They raised all their food and then some, having a large fruit orchard behind the house to to the south, a garden and berry bushes west of the wash house and a mulberry hedge around the front lawn. Of course the lawn was watered from the irrigation ditch that ran at the head of each property line. These were fond memories.
I remember counting eggs with Grandma -'Ein, svey, dri, fier...' she still spoke German and never did master the English language too well. But they appreciated their new country and Grandpa Behling saw to it that they became citizens just as soon as the law allowed.
I remember the family prayers - with everyone kneeling together in a circle in the 'front' room - morning and evening and before they partook of the well prepared meal laid out in the lean-to kitchen. I remember that long table covered with oil cloth on week days and with white linen on the Sabbath or holidays. They sat on long benches that shoved under the table - out of the way when the meals were over. I remember the big black kitchen range with the water reservoir at the side, the large oven where they did their baking and roasted the grain that they ground for their morning beverage, the wooden butter churn that had to be cranked by hand, the wooden butter mold, and the cream separator. Yes, they worked hard from morning 'til night. They had a good life and they were happy.

CONTINUED
I don't remember what year we left that log cabin with the stink weeds growing on the rod roof where I was born assisted by Sister Soderquist, a mid-wife. Papa paid her a $5 gold piece for taking such good care of mama and me. I've wondered at times whether or not my birth was registered, but it was and properly signed by Hilda Soderquist. Bless her heart.
My brother, Henry was born 25 February 1918 in castle Dale at Grandma Petersen's home. There was a doctor Shipp in Castle Dale at the time. My earliest recollection of Henry was when I was supposed to be watching him while mama hung out the washing. He cried so I tried to pacify him by feeding him cherry juice. My first punishment!
Our next home was on the main highway in Ferron about a mile south of town. It was a two room brick structure with a frame summer kitchen and washroom combination in the rear. It was much more comfortable than the log cabin. Since there were four of us by now we needed more room. This home even accommodated an occasional Grandparent from Castle Dale. They came to visit separately because they were divorced, but each would stay a week or two at a time. Grandma 'Bell' as we affectionately called her was an absolute darling and Grandpa 'Pete' was very helpful with his carpenter skills, building tables, chests and a beautiful kitchen cabinet that was still in use in the old farm house in Castle Dale when my brother Rex sold the farm to Utah Power and Light Co.
Papa was still working for Sam Singleton but he had a fair sized farm of his own, farm animals and a good sized orchard and garden spot also with the necessary farm buildings. We had a cement cistern where we had to pump the culinary water for the house. And sitting not twelve feet from it an outside privy with two accommodations. Why it was so close to the cistern I've often wondered unless it made it so handy. The gate to the barnyard was also nearby and you could accomplish three tasks on the way.
Our family grew to seven. Five children now. Albert, Leah and Clair were born in this home. I remember so well my brother, Clair's birth.
Up to this time, I always believed the doctor brought us a new baby in his black bag. But this time the doctor didn't get there and papa delivered Clair. It was a snowy winter night in January. Mama was sitting on a low stool in front of the kitchen stove, scraping soot from underneath the oven, an unpleasant task. Suddenly, a strong labor pain hit her. Papa picked her up in his arms and carried her to the bedroom. Henry was asleep in the kitchen on a day bed. I was in the bedroom when Papa awakened me and sent me into the kitchen to crawl in with Henry. Then he called Grandma Behling on the old crank type, wall hung telephone in the kitchen, and spoke with her in German, then he dashed back into the bedroom, then back to the phone and back into the bedroom. I didn't know what all the excitement was about until Papa came and told me I had a baby brother. Not many minutes later Uncle Willis came for me to take me to Grandma's to spend the night. It was quite a ride on that horse going through the fields with about two feet of snow to plough through.
It was while we were living here that Grandpa Behling died of cancer 27 August 1925. I was ten years old and it was my first experience with death. I can remember how I cried - I loved my Grandfather very much.
It was about this time that Papa took a job with the State Road Commission building a road from Fremont Junction to Loa. He was away from home for weeks at a time. I remember how Henry became deathly ill because he had eaten some little berries from a weed. How Albert always got the 'Croup' every time he caught a cold and we'd all stand around scared for fear he'd choke to death. I remember once when Henry threw one of his tantrums - (he'd lie on the floor and kick and scream). Papa kept rolling him over and back until he was completely worn out. I think that was the end of Henry's tantrums. He was also our 'thumb sucker' and 'ear puller' - which he did simultaneously. Mama tried everything to get him to stop, from putting nasty medicine on his fingers and thumbs to sewing up his sleeve to keep that thumb out of his mouth.
CONTINUED...
Henry and Papa both had their tonsils out of the same day. This was also while we were living in Ferron. Papa had been troubled with some Rheumatism apparently caused from tonsillitis
I was twelve years old when we moved to Helper, Utah to raise chickens for Jim Bryner. It was while we were living here that Papa took a job working on the Kenilworth cut... a railroad through the mountain to the coal mine. Uncle Owen, mama's brother, came to live with us and it was while he was living there that he died of meningitis one night. He and Henry were sleeping together and I remember Mama heard a noise in the night and she got up to see what it was and she found Uncle Owen "blue as his overalls.". Shortly after he died, I felt so sorry for Grandma Petersen. It hadn't been long since she had lost her youngest son, Levi, from an accident to the base of his brain while playing basketball.
We were neighbors to Jim Bryners and I remember one day while Jim was cutting someones hair that Rex, his young son, took my sister Leah, who was about his age, under the table and gave her her first 'shag hair cut. We had lots of company when we lived in Helper. Uncle Oliver's and Aunt Diantha's families lived nearby in Kenilworth and they visited us often. Aunt Martha, Papa's sister also visited us and one of the local fellows by the name of Stowell was really sweet on her. We bought our first car when we lived in Help but our prosperity didn't last long as Papa got Sciatica Rheumatism and couldn't work. The next thing I knew we were moving back to Emery Co - Castle Dale this time and into Grandma Petersen's home. We must have been really down and out.
It was here in Castle Dale that I noticed how extremely frugal the management of our household was. We had never been extravagant. Mama's motto was "Waste not, want not" and she exercised every precaution in 'making do' wherever possible. We learned a lot of thrifty tricks which come in very handy in all of our lives.
It was in Grandma's house that Alice, our youngest sister, was born, 29 July 1927. She had the distinction of being delivered by our Great Grandmother, Annie C. Rasmussen, who had been set apart by the Holy Priesthood to be a midwife in Castle Valley. How well I remember our days at Grandma Petersen's - her hot flashes, which she tried to whisk away by flapping her apron up and down to create a breeze over her face. And her marvelous electric washing machine. It was a wooden tub affair with a wooden dolly resembling a milking stool attached to the lid. This is what agitated the clothes. She was fortunate to have an electric washer - not many people did. Her sons purchased it for her. Grandma was also custodian of the Ward meeting house. I remember helping her care for the sacrament trays cups. She would let me empty those little glass cups into a larger glass, then we would wash and polish the tray and cups. I remember drinking the left over, stale, "blessed" water from the larger glass. Those were the days before contamination or germs. It was at Grandma's house that I had Rheumatic fever. Papa used to carry me from the house to the outdoor privy because the pain in my legs made it impossible to walk.
Our next home was across the road from Uncle Arastus Larsen's. Papa had somehow secured a service station which he operated on Main street. We didn't live here very long because Papa made a dial with Ervin Wimber for a house and fruit and berry farm on the 'bench' north of Castle Dale town. This was a real home and we were happy. We picked and harvested fruit and berries and Papa hauled the produce to Carbon County and the mining towns and sold it. It seemed that things were looking up for the Behlings. It was here that our youngest brother, Rex, was born, 30 December 1929 attended by Dr. J.W. Nixon. It was here also, that our brother Clair, just a small child, met with a sleighing accident - running into a barbed wire fence, on Wiburgs hill, causing slashes in his face. He was a mighty sick little boy - he contacted Erysipalis caused from the contamination of the barbed wire - a terrible infection. Two friends of his (bachelors in the neighborhood by the names of Theo Ungermand and Joe Bittlecomb) would come and sit by Clair's bedside at night so my parents could get some much needed rest.
CONTINUED
I don't remember how long it was alter this that Papa got sick. He'd been pushing pretty hard - driving that truck and peddling produce - but one night I was awakened by Mama screaming "come and help, quick - get the doctor." Papa was unconscious and seemed to be having a seizure- but of course by the time Dr. Nixon got there it was all over. In fact, it only lasted a few minutes but it was very frightening. It only happened one other time (also in the middle of the night) and Papa was persuaded to go to Salt Lake City for tests. The tests showed nothing abnormal but he was cautioned to 'let up and slow down or else'. Of course it didn't make matters any easier that the country was in the midst of a depression. Anyhow, because of Papa's inability to drive himself, we were unable to make the payments on the house, the berry farm and the truck and found ourselves moving to a rental, the old P.C. Jones home on main street in Castle Dale. I loved that house but not for long - we shifted again to the southeast corner of the city, a two story brick and frame house. It had been unoccupied for years. I guess that was the reason we could afford it. Bird's had nested in it and it was inhabited by mice and bed bugs. I remember so well helping mama get it cleaned up and ready for occupancy. We shoved wet newspapers in to the holes in the plaster and then pasted pieces of old sheets over the holes and covered it all with wallpaper. It looked pretty nice when it as all completed. Wallpaper used to be one of the least expensive wall coverings, being all the way from 6 cents a single roll to about a dollar. We bought lots of 6 cent paper.
Papa went back to farming again and we had a large garden spot. I did a lot of hoeing in that garden but didn't know why I was always so breathless after any kind of exertion. My brothers, Henry and Albert were now large enough to give Papa a hand with the farm. We acquired quite a few farm animals and I know they worked hard and long hours. My two brothers used to work out on the farm without shirts on and in the summer they would get as brown as Indians. Tanning wasn't so fashionable in those days and I remember sitting by the hour rubbing buttermilk and lemon juice on my face and arms to try to bleach my olive skin. We children all had olive skin and green or brown eyes except Alice - she had violet eyes. Mama's eyes were brown and Papa's were blue.
By now my two brothers and I were attending High School and the rest of the children who were old enough were going to Castle Dale Elementary School. We didn't take vacations, we didn't own a car; we walked to town and to school and to church. We wasted nothing, we had plenty to eat, we were healthy and happy.
It was while we were living at this location that I met Floyd Warren, a tall good-looking, blue eyed, fair skinned, young man from Spring Canyon, Utah. I was sixteen years old. We met at a Saturday night dance at "Wilberg', the local open air dance pavilion. It was June 4, 1932. I remember the date so well because it was his twenty second birthday and I had received my patriarchal blessing that very day. We began dating and eventually 'going steady'!
I graduated from High School and Seminary in 1933, being Salutatorian of my class (2nd highest in scholarship), my friend Rhea Larsen being Valedictorian. Rhea was the daughter of Blanch Hitchcock who had so kindly helped my Father when he was in school. I had loved school and really felt lost when September rolled around and I didn't find myself trudging up that mile and a quarter hill again to the old Central High School building.
Jobs were scarce, money was scarcer - so it was impossible to go to BYU in Provo even on a scholarship. Eggs were 10 cents/dozen, Steak was 25 cents/pound and I was in love. "Potatoes are cheaper, Tomatoes are cheaper, now's the time to fall love" was the current popular song. We did a lot of dancing in those days. Charleston, Fox trots, Waltzes. Malone Jewkes and Ralph Meglaccio, band leaders, must have played pretty cheap in those days because we always had a band to dance by. In those days couples danced with each other not 'at' them as they do today.
Floyd and I wrote lots of letters to keep in touch (postage was only 3 cents) and I saw him once about every month or six weeks when he could scrape together enough money for gasoline for that old "moon" and an extra Control, which he usually had to replace somewhere along the way either coming or going the fifty some miles from Spring Canyon to Castle Dale. We teased him that his theme song was 'Get out and get under the moon' a current popular song. It was a happy time for us, we were talking about marriage, but it was a bad time for the coal mining industry. Labor troubles were brewing and U.M.W.A. was trying to organize to improve conditions for the miners. Floyd worked on the tipple for Spring Canyon Coal company. Bread lines were forming, Franklin Roosevelt was president and W.P.A and P.W.A came into existence. We had set our marriage date for Oct 18th but on Oct. 1st, Floyd's Father, Hubbard Warren died of a heart attach at the age of 56. This stopped our plans for awhile and we were two unhappy kids - but on Thanksgiving day, two months later on Nov. 30, 1933 we decided, at the urging of our friends, Pearl Bott and Oscar Robertson, that we wouldn't wait any longer - if we could get a marriage license, we would get married that day and if the Bishop was willing. We had every reason to be thankful, we were able to get a license and Bishop E.A. Nielsen married us in the living room of his home and our friends, Pearl and Oscar were our witnesses. When I think back and realize that I didn't have my parents at our wedding I go cold all over. I had taken my mother into my confidence - but it just didn't seem to occur to me that they would want to be present. Maybe it was the times - and I remember the mud was pretty deep on that road down to our home. It seemed at the time the thing to do. Anyway, we were married, then Oscar treated us to a movie at the church (we had movies in the church to finance the ward budget) and after that we went to the Thansgiving dance in Orangeville. At 2 am we went back down home and slept in my bedroom - which my mother had tidied up for our wedding night. Wasn't she great! That was the year 1933. We were in the midst of a great depression but we were happy.
Floyd was baptized a member of the church the next month, December, 1933. Our first home was a two room apartment, costing $8 a month. No plumbing. We furnished it with whatever we could scare up. We had a cook stove (monarch) linoleum on the floor, a table and four chairs, a bed, and an orangecrate dressing table with a chintz ruffle. Groceries cost about $5 @ week and Floyd was paid $5.48 for a days work at the tipple. Most weeks he worked two days and sometimes three. Clothes were washed with the aid of a scrubbing board and boiled white in a #3 tub that was used also for bathing. Work clothing was a real problem. Underwear (long handles)to keep the coal dust off the skin and overalls and shirts that were covered with the large articles. Before the next September we did get a used washing machine. We were happy!
Our first child was born Sept. 12, 1934. We named him Floyd Eugene. He weighed in at eight pounds, was born at home, and at a cost for delivery of $35. This included pre and post natal care. Also, things were looking up. We were able to buy a new baby bed and pay Dr. Merrill out of one month's wages. I believe we bought a new (used) car shortly after this. It was a 1932 Ford Coupe with a 'rumble' seat in the rear. We also purchased a real dresser with four drawers and a mirror.
Gene was eighteen months old when we decided he needed a little brother, so we planned on a larger apartment. This one cost $16 a month and had four rooms This meant more furniature etc, but world economics had improved and we were able to manage.
Allan Hivas was born Nov. 7, 1936 - birthwight, 9 lbs. He was a very good baby - unspoiled and lovable. Gene was happy to have a baby brother. A short time later we moved to Hiawatha, Utah. Floyd worked in the machine shop with Cal Griffith, his sister Neita's husband. We rented a home near them that even had a bathroom - our first indoor plumbing. We lived in Hiawatha about a year. It was while we were living here that Gene had a convulsion caused from a too high fever and it nearly scared the wits out of me. I had depended a lot on Grandma Warren's knowledge of nursing to raise our two children and now in Hiawatha we were more or less left to our own resources. I was really nervous whenever the children were ill so I was glad when we moved back to Spring Canyon and close to Grandma again.
I wasn't feeling at all well either and after a visit to Dr. Merrill I found out I had a reoccurence of theumatic fever and a bad heart murmur. I was ordered to bed for a year but because of my inability to relaz and take things easy (I was always fussing about my babies and having to have outside help and the burden put on everything because of my being in bed). Dr Merrill told me after three months that I wasn't doing myself any good and I might as well get out of bed. I thought I was doomed to a very short life as was also advised by Dr. Merrill that I shouldn't have any more children.
When we came back from Hiawatha, Floyd went to work inside the mine loading coal. It was through this change in jobs that we met Byard and Elda Tuft and Don and Evona Justesen who became life long friends. We raised our children together they became friends especially our and the Justesen children.
About this time Grandma Warren met and married George Wakefield from Huntington, Utah. He worked for Spring Canyon Coal Co. delivering coal. The year was 1940 and Henry, my eldest brother, married Ellen Snow in the Manti Temple. November 8, 1940. Two Sons and two daughter came to this union.
My brother, Albert, came to live with us. He got a job loading coal in the Standardville mine. He was a tall, handsome, well built young man and we just loved having him live with us. He was living with us when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941. Within a day or so our nation was at war with Japan as well as Germany. It was because of the war that production stepped up at the mine. Much coal was needed and we found ourselves with a Selective Service Draft law and rationing. Albert was drafted and sent to Camp Roberts, California. After boot camp he was given a transfer to Camp Kearns, Utah. Before leaving California, however, he ent to the camp dentist and had two teeth pulled. By the time he reached Utah, he was a pretty sick young man. Infection had set in where the teeth were extracted. He'd been given a weekend pass so before reporting for duty at Kearns he cam home. He became so terrifly ill with this infection that he was never able to leave his bed at home. Mama worked so hard to save his life - but two months later on 16 Dec. 1942 he died - a victim of dirty dental instruments used by an uncrupulous Dentist at Camp Roberts. This was a real tragedy in our family. I remember so well the large american flag that covered his casket, which was folded and given to my parents, the sound of tops being played at the cemetary and the Gold Star that went into the front window at our parent's home.
CONTINUED
My sister, Leah, had met, been courted, and married to Ollie Lindsey of Wellington, Utah on May 23, 1942. Floyd and I had known Ollie and introduced him and Leah while we lived in Sunnyside the previous summer. Floyd and Ollie had worked together on the crusher at the Asphalt Quarry up at the head of Sunnyside Canyon. Leah was a beautiful young lady and Ollie was a handsome, personable and bashful young man. They were married by Bishop E.A. Nielson in my parents living room. They went to live in Price , Utah. Ollie had a job in the Columbia mine. They later moved to Columbia. Two sons, Sheldon Ollie and Randall B. were born to them.
In 1943 we moved to Dragerton, Utah - a town built because of the need for more coal for a nation at war. Gene and Allan were in the third and first grades in school. The school house was not yet built in Dragerton, so Gene finished his school year in Columbia where he stayed with Leah and Ollie. Allan was given a promotion ahead of the school year ending because of his excellent scholastic record. The town of Dragerton prospered and grew - many new homes were added and we moved to a more desirable location in what was called C section.
The church was organized and a branch presidency was called to serve in Gragerton. We met in the school Building. The Spirit of the Lord was there with us in rich abundance. We had many callings. Our first branch president was James Christensen, and we had a flourishing branch. Both of our children had been baptized. Gene and Spring Canyon by Reed Lindstrom and Allan in Dragerton by Allen Miller, our second Branch President.
We lived neighbors to Don and Evona Justesen. Don and Floyd both became mine foreman and both served in the Branch presidency - Don being clerk and Floyd as second Counselor to Orlon Mortensen, our third Branch president. Floyd was ordained a high priest by Joseph Fielding Smith. We were very happy and loved the Gospel very much. We had our family sealed in the Manti temple 31 May 1945.
The war was still going on and Clair, Don, Henry and Ollie were all in the service of their country. I mention Don Unger - he had joined our family when the government had sponsored a CCC camp in Castle Dale. He was a good friend of my brothers, wo when he inlisted in the Air Force, he gave my parents home address as his home base. Clair served in the Navy aboard an LSI (Landing Ship Tanks). Ollie was in the Army with the Ski Troop in Italy. Henry was in the Army in the Austrian Islands and Don in Europe in the Air Forces. Floyd hadn't been called or classified as defense work. He did, however, begin to feel that he should get out of the coal mine. His brother, Leland came from California with his welding machine and they decided to go into business together. They found and rented an old building on main street in Spanish Fork from Egra Warner and started "Warren Brother Welding." We also purchased a two family duplex from Mr. Warner with Floyd paying $1000 (in lieu of his half of the welding machine) as down payment on the home.
We enjoyed living in Spanish Fork but business was not good so Floyd finally went to work as a welder for Pacific Pepe Co - leaving the business for Leland. Winter came and the cold and Floyd started wishing he was back working in the mine, where it was the same temperature winter and summer. So back to Dragerton we went - renting our half of the duplex for $30 a month. It was less than the payments on the place but the government had a rent control program and that was all we were allowed.
Back in Dragerton there was a vacancy in the Branch Presidency and once again Floyd was asked to fill the position. This time with Orlon Mortensen, Pres. A.W. Anderson and Don Justesen as cleark. I was called as YW MIA President. We'd had a very fine MIA for years. I'd worked as gleaner leader, Drama diirector and counselor. We enjoyed our church callings. Floyd was very well liked, both as a counselor in the church and as mine foreman at work. He was generous to a fault - always helping out someone who was someone who was less fortunate. The boys were growing up. Gene was a scout and held the Aaronic Priesthood and Allan's great ambition was to play in the East Carton band. He played the cornet. They both did very well in school.
Floyd still like to fish and hunt but had to do it other than Sunday now that he was so involved with church. He loved my parents and brothers and sisters. We always spent as much time as possible with our parents.
Lee and Norma also moved to Dragerton but Floyd never could convince his brother of the truthfulness of the gospel.
1945 - The war was over and my brothers came home to their families. My youngest sister Alice, married Don Unger and made him an official member of the Behling clan - two children, Bruce and Katherina blessed their home. Clair came to Dragerton to work and live with us. He got a job working with Cal Griffith, our brother in-law, in the machine shop at Horse Canyon. It was fun having Clair there iwth us but it didn't last long. He met and married Madge Christensen from Huntington. They were married on Dad's birthday 29, Nov. 1946. Five children blessed their home. Now Ollie and Leah - Clair and Madge and the Warren's all lived in Dragerton. It was surely great having so many of my family near. We purchased one of the newer and larger homes in E section for $5,000 and set about landscaping and digging another gruit and furance room under the house. It was the third new house we had lived in in Dragerton, landscaped and dug a cellar. The boys were growing up. Gene was near fifteen and Allan was near thirteen. They were both such fine boys - a real joy to us as parents. We were such a happy family. It just seemed that we had just about everything a family could want. The only problem was Allan's allergy (he seemed to be allergic to almost everything) and his feet required a lot of attention - special shoes and built up heels and soles on the inside of each foot.
Then one afternoon when Floyd was making an inspection where his crew worked in the mine, the ceiling caved in, pinning him to the floor. He was brought into the Dragerton hospital, examined and x-rayed and put to bed. His injuries didn't seem too severe, but two days later, a crush injury in his back which showed only as a fine line crack on the x-ray, caused a pulmonary embolism and my wonderful husband died 25, Aug, 1949. Our world toppled - what can one say when such a tragedy occurs? I knew I didn't want my sons to ever work in the coal mine so I immediately made a decision to go back to Spanish Fork and live in that duplex which we still owned half interest. Floyd's funeral was attended by nearly 2000 people and he was buried in Spanish Fork Cemetery.
My sister, Alice, came to live with us. I don't know what I would have done without her. I got a job as school secretary in the Jr. High School. That way I had the same hours as my children away from home. Alice lived with us until January 1950, then Don came from Guam and took both she and their baby son, Bruck back with him to Guam where he was stationed in the US Air Forces. After working for the school that year, my sons and I moved to Spanish Fork and prepared to live a new life. Grandpa and Grandma Wake field had purchased the other side of the duplex from Lee and move to Spanish Fork anlso, se we weren't alone.
The boys both found summer jobs and really fulfilled their tole as priesthood holders and men of the family. In 1950 I got another school secretary job a Spanish Fork Jr. High - a job I held for the next 6 years. Mr. L. H. Cornaby was principal and was very good to work for. It was easier in Spanish Fork this time. We had made a few friends when we lived there before. I remember so well, the Warner, Brockbank and Moody families. They were our neighbors and were very good to us.
During the summer of 1951 I attented BYU and the boys were busy working at whatever jobs were available. They were both good workers and gave me no problems at all. I was very proud of them. They both attended their church meetings and were active in scouting.
In the fall of 1951, I married Clyde Beckstrom. He was a native of Spanish Fork. I had known and loved his parents for several years. H had been living in So. Calif. but had come to Utah to help his Father, who had been injured in a tractor accident. We purchased a home on Bradford Lane from the Creer family and went into the livestock business. We had sheep, cattle and chickens - and Gene had some pigs. Clyd and the boys didn't get along very well - only a mother can understand the anguish experienced when she feels her children aren't treated fairly.
After high school graduation, Gene worked for Hurst Ready Mix and attened one year at BYU. The following year he received his mission call to the Gulf States and he left for that mission in January 1954.
Allan went to southern California after his graduation and got a job with Standard Oil Co. He spent several summers in Laguna Beach working for them and came back to BYU for each fall and winter semester. He earned a track and field scholarship at BYU which helped with his expenses. During the winter he taught a ski class for the University.
In 1956 we sold our home in Spanish Fork and moved to Southern California. Clyde had been wanting to go back to California ever since we got married, but I held back not wanting to leave my family in Utah. Making a living had been somewhat of a struggle for Clyde in Utah, so under protest, I moved to South Gate California. I traded the equity in the Spanish Fork home to Don Fuller of Payson for a rather nice frame home on Utah Ave. in Payson. I then rented this home to the coach of Payson High School - gave the chickens and sheep to Dad and disposed of the rest as best I could and took off for California. Allan was already in Southern California and Gene was still in Texas.
California was a big change - I didn't like it at first (I didn't want to like it) we didn't have things as nice as we'd had them in Utah and I felt completely smothered by the Beckstrom family. We lived by them, we went to church with the, we ate and socialized with them - I'm sure it was my rebellious attitude that made me feel this way because they were good to me. In short, I was lonesome for home and family in Utah and California was not the shangri-la that Clyde had tried so hard to convince me of. Any way, he didn't make a go of the gas station business he had leased and we had a chance to manage apartments for Elardi Construction Co. We did this for a number of years and now I like California.
Gene was home from his mission - the boys were both back at BYU- now my big concern was Mama. She was ill. The doctors couldn't seem to diagnose what her illness was. She spent a total of about five years in bed. Dad had a rough time paying for a woman to come in tna care for mama plus her doctor bills. We sent what we could each month to help him and tried to get home several times a year to see them.
In 1959 We changed our residence and also employer - we now managed a large 68 unit apartment building in Downey, Calif. for Rellum Construction Co. Things were looking up financially. Gene had married a lovely red headed girl from New Orleans, Louisiana, in the Los Angeles Temple and they were both attending Brigham Young University. Allan was still spending his summers working in Souther Calif. and attending the university in Provo the rest of the year. He had bought a new red car. I don't know anyone who had such a zest for living the way Allan did. He seemed to enjoy life to the fullest and was so much fun to be around. It was that adventurous and daring spirit that took him mountain climbing that sunday morning of 29 November 1959 - he slipped on the ice at Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon and fell several hundred feet. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord." It was that verse from Job that kept hammering in my thoughts all the way from Downey to Utah as we drove back to Spanish Fork to prepare for Allan's funeral and burial. Why? It happened on Dad's birthday. Allan had completed his life on earth in just twenty three years. Now he was with his father, whom he loved so much.
Gene and Lola had been in So. Gate all summer working to get enough money to return to BYU. Lola was pregnant with their first child - about seven months, when this tragedy struck our family. They returned to Provo for the winter quarter and our first grandchild was born Jan 27, 1960 - a beautiful baby boy - Now we had another Allan - Allan Eugene Warren. He was such a joy.
The next few years I'd just like to skip over. Clyde and I separated and were divorced. I continued to work as manager of the Oak Tree Apartments. Gene, Lola and Allan now lived in West Covina. Both had teaching jobs and they had purchased a new home. It was a joy having them near.
My cousin, Dora Gardner, helped me a great deal at the apartments painting, etc and I hired a cleanin woman, Lucy Puryear, who also helped a great deal. Being a divorcee isn't the best position for a woman to be in - but with the church as an anchor I was able to maintain my respectability.
I met Edward Anderson when Dora, my cousin, arranged a blind date for us to attend the 'Gold and Green' ball. He had been widowed the previous year. He put on quite a campaign of courting me and we were married 21 March 1963. Ed had a young son, Marc, who was just 12 years old at this time. My compassion for that young boy had quite a bit to do with my decision to marry Ed. We didn't go on a honeymoon trip at this time so we delayed it until August when Marc would be out of school. It was while were in Canada on this trip that Mama died - 26 Aug. 1963, her wedding anniversary. We cut our trip short to rush back home for her funeral. It was hare to leave Dad. He seemed so terribly all alone now. None of the family lived in Castle Dale - the nearest was Clair and Madge in Columbia.
Dad stood the loneliness as best he could but the following June he married Anna Laura Miller, an old time friend of the family. Their marriage wasn't the smoothest, both of them being so set in their ways, but Dad was good to her and her family appreciated him. She preceeded him in death by several years. Dad was getting along in years now and was not able to do the work that he had previously. He called on Clair and Rex constantly for help in on way and another. He also did not have much income - a small pension, $60 per month, from the government which was insurance from Albert's death. He had very little Social Security and a few laying hens. So it helped a great deal when Rex bought the farm and Dad received monthly payments from him and took over the farm work. Rex had married Thora Christensen of Ephraim in the Manti temple and eight children blessed their home. I don't thin any of us realized how hard it was for Rex. He was trying to support his large family in Payson by having an Insurance business and running the farm in Castle Dale every time he could get away - and being at Dad's beck and call each time he was needed. Some of us wondered by Rex was so full of nonsense - I know now - if he hadn't resorted to that 'light-minded-ness' he would have caved in. He also kept up more than his share in church activity being Elder's Quorum President and later on the High Council. If he hadn't had Thora at his side and the support she gave him, he couldn't have done all he did. I'm thankful to them and to Clair and Madge, expecially Madge who took such loving care of Dad in his illnesses.
Back to my life with Ed in Santa Fe Springs. I loved my home, the ward, my friends, my family. Ed would have given me the moon if it were possible. He tried so hard in his way to make me happy and he was a good husband and provider. In 1967 I had open-heart-surgery - an artificial valve to replace the old damaged one. Because of this surgery my health improved to such an extent that I felt like a new woman. I was very grateful to the Lord for my blessings. In Sept 1968 Bishop McEldowney called me to be a Seminary teacher in the ward. I enjoyed and endured this call for eight years - loving the youth of the church and enduring the horrible hours. 6:15 am to 7:15 am each morning - five days a week. It meant a lot of study and for what purpose. It gave me an understanding of the gospel that was possible in no other way and a closeness with some of the most marvelous youth in the church. I'm thankful to have had this calling.
Ed's health rather deteriated - his blood pressure was elevated and he had to take medication to keep it at a safe level. He suffered a heart attack about 1968 but recovered sufficiently to go back to work. He suffered from chest pain rather frequently - and had to carry nitro-glycerine with himm at all times to get him over the pain. Ed's personality was also a detering factor - he was rather an explosive sort - which didn't help his condition. And he loved good food - especially all the things that weren't good for his health. He was constantly trying to lose weight - but he enjoyed eating too much.
We had thirteen good years together, sometime it got rather stormy, but I guess that helps to make life more interesting. He was a good man, active in church. He was a true friend and neighbor to his fellowman and a good grandfather to Gene's and Lola's children. He loved his son, Marc to such an extent that he indulged him too much and it has been difficult for Marc to grow up and mature. He was affectionately called 'the grouch'. Ed died suddenly of a heart attack on 20 August 1976. He was just sixty two years old. My three brothers and two sisters as well as Gene's family all came to Santa Fe Springs for his funeral, as well as Ed's many relatives and a host of our friends. Everyone was so kind. My heart ached for Marc in his loneliness. He lost his father and his dog the same week.
My need to be near my children and grandchildren was great so at their invitation I took some of my personal and household belongings and went to Quincy the later part of December 1976. Marc stayed on in Santa Fe Springs in our home. I rented a house in Quincy just three houses from Gene's family and lived there for five months. I was especially thnkful to be near them and for the children to stay with me at night - expecially for Martin, who built fires and spent the most time with me. In June, I purchased a mobile home and moved into East Quincy.
Church in Quincy was a delight. A small ward with an abundance of the Holy Spirit in attendance. Shortly after coming to Quincy I was given the calling of Homemaking Leader in Relief Society and a little later that of Sunday School teacher.
It was wonderful to become re-acquainted with my grandchildren and to share in their activities. Sometimes I wished that they weren't so involved so I could spend more time with them. They were all very athletically capabel and I was proud of their achievements. The little ones, William and Kathryn were so lovable.
October 1977 - My son, Gene, is now my Bishop. We are involved in a building program to enlarge the church facility. The enthusiasm of the ward members for getting this building program underway is a testimony of the faith of this small ward. When one hears of assessments given of $5,000 and receiving $10,000, you know of the quality of people living in the ward.
In March 1978, I left Quincy to spend a month with my cousin, Dora Gardner, and her family in Hacienda Heights, Calif. and to visit with other friends. My first sunday there I decided to attend church in my former ward in Santa Fe Springs. As I enterd the building (chapel) I was warmly greeted by my friends and acquaintances. It was like a reunion or homecoming and I looked to attending the Gospel Doctrine class. I had been the teacher of this class before going to Quincy to live. Brother Thomas A Baxter had been teaching since I left. As I walked into the room I took a seat after a friendly embrace by the teacher. After his usual good lesson I stopped to chat a moment and to let Bro. Baxter know I had enjoyed his lesson. A couple of my lady friends approached and asked how long I was going to be in Santa Fe Springs and Bro. Baxter made a bold and shocking remark, that he "wasn't going to let me get away again". I was speechless for a moment but he did exact a promise from that "I'd think about it." Needless to say, I did think about it and with the blessings of both of our families and friends we were married for 'time' in Los Angeles Temple 27 April 1978. Our two sons, Thomas A Baxter Jr. and Floyd E. Warren witnessed our marriage and some forty of our friends and family attended. We were honored at a High Priests party, an open house at Dora and Aerial Gardner's home, a luncheon at McEldowney's and a reception in Quincy at Gene and Lola's home.
CONTINUED
Tom's family are all so warm and loving. I now have a large family to enjoy. We have made a few changes. We deeded Tom's home in Downey over to Marc and we moved his furnishings and personal belongings over to my house in Santa Fe Springs. Marc has the furniture and personal effects that belonged to his father and mother.
After the quick move we closed the door behind us and took off for Quincy in time for Allan's high schoool graduation exercises and a well deserved honeymoon. We enjoyed our first summer together in Quincy. The children now had a 'Grandpa' whom they loved very much. Tom was always busy. He had planned to do some painting while in Quincy but there were so many other things that needed his attention. He even bought himself some bib overalls and a chambray shirt so he could go and pound nails in the house that Gene and his sons were constructing as a mission fund project. He also put a new skirt around our mobile home. We enjoyed the association of good friends in the mobile home court and look back on that summer with great affection to Laurence and Helen Stapley and Vern and Eddie Anderson.
About two months before we left Quincy we were set apart as Stake missionaries, a calling we enjoyed very much. September soom came to a close and colder weather along with it so we rented our mobile home to Don and patricia Nicol and took off for Southern California and a trip through Utah and Colorado. Autumn in these two states was beautiful. The colors in Zions, Bryce and other canyons was fantastic. We attended the St. George, Manti and Provo temples and visited with members of the family on both sides. We were back in southern Calif. by November.
In 1979 we only spent 2 1/2 months in Quincy - living in with Gene and Lola. Allan left for his mission to Tawian while we were there. It was a good summer, a wonderful experience. We kept busy canning peaches, working on Don's house and preparing for the missionary booth and manning it at the Plumas Co. fair. Tom also killed a rattlesnake at Gene's.
We worried about Veronica, our daughter-in law. Her health had been poor for a long time and she was going to have some extensive heart tests. We came back home to find her miraculously healed. We were so thankful.
We spent two glorious weeks in Hawaii in September. The very highlight of the trip, I believe, was when Buddy, our son-in-law and Tom went fishing and Buddy caught a 152 lb. Marlin. That's excitement!
When we came back from Hawaii we put in a lot of time and money into fixing up our home. Tom now has a shop for jewelry making in the garage. Gasoline and food are our major expenses. I didn't think I'd ever see gasoline over $1.00 a gallon. We go to the temple only twice a month now and do two sessions each time. We have been given sunday school teaching positions, we're magazine reps for the ward and I've been subbing in Relief Society - mini class leader and 2nd session Spiritual Living leader. Tom very often gives the priesthood lesson to the High Priests' Quorum.
Quincy is now the newly organized Stake Center and Gene (Floyd) my son is the new Stake President. It makes me fell doubly blessed to have a son worthy of sucha great calling. He has such responsibilities, the father of eight children, assistant superintendent of schools and now this. I know he couldn't do all he does if he didn't have such a strong help meet in Lola, his wife. She surely is a wonderful wife and mother, a real tower of strength. I'm so grateful for her.
Now our Bishop, Harvey L. Berg has called us on a mission for the church. We have been busy getting our papers all filled in and completed but as of this date we have not received our official call. When we get our call we'll have to let you all know where and for how long we'll be going. May the good Lord bless all of you abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment